Need software to encrypt the files on your disk? Look no further than VeraCrypt. This software is the successor of TrueCrypt, which was discontinued in 2014. It offers not just the features of its predecessor but also many more. Read on if you want to know more about this software.
What Is Veracrypt?
To put it simply, it is a free, open-source disk encryption software for Windows, Linux, and macOS. It continues from where TrueCrypt, an older disk encryption software, left and brings more to the table.
This software is not a mere successor to TrueCrypt, however. It offers enhanced security, solved many security issues as well as vulnerabilities of its predecessor, and comes equipped with many more features. It is both successor and improvement.
- Need to keep your data private
- Work with sensitive documents
- Want to protect your privacy
- Would like to better computer hygiene
then this software will suit you.
Who Developed Veracrypt?
The software was developed by Mounir Idrassi, a French developer. The software was not built from scratch. Rather, it was based on TrueCrypt 7.1a.
In many ways, this software is the successor of TrueCrypt, which ended in 2014. It was created to be a free, open-source disk encryption software for Windows, Linux, and MacOSX.
This software main features:
- It creates a virtual encrypted disk and then mounts it as a real disk.
- It can encrypt both an entire partition and storage device.
- It can encrypt a partition or drive where Windows OS is installed.
- The software’s encryption in real-time, automatic, and transparent.
- It has pipelining and parallelization, which allows data to be read and written just as quickly as if the storage was not encrypted.
- It provides plausible deniability.
How It Works
It works similarly to TrueCrypt. If you have used TrueCrypt before, you will get used to this software quickly. If you haven’t, we recommend you read the tutorial so you will get used to it. The software is also portable. Meaning, you can run it either as an installer or a portable application.
Pros and Cons
There is no such thing as perfect software. This software is not an exception. Of course, there are pros and cons of VeraCrypt.
- It protects against data theft
- It prevents data leaks
- It provides plausible deniability
- It doesn’t have any backdoor access
- It is portable.
- The software is not beginner-friendly. It is suited for advanced users.
Where to Download
Interested in using this software? If you are, just click any of the links we provided below.
Download from the official website (for Windows, Linux, and macOS)
Download from Filehorse (for Windows)
The software is free for everyone. That means you just have to download and install it or run it as a portable application and you can enjoy all the features the software offers
VeraCrypt is one of the best as well as the most popular successors of TrueCrypt. It offers various features such as protection against data leaks, plausible deniability, and data leak prevention, among others. While it is a great free and open-source encryption software, it is not beginner-friendly.